Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Antique and Whimsical Beach House Decor

My daydreams (and night dreams) are composed of images of white sand under my feet, the sound of crashing waves, the call of sea birds.  I have imagined many times my seaside home and all the special pieces I would fill it with...

I am drawn to the whimsical and curious, drawn from nature without a lot of artifice; pieces so beautiful they can stand alone in a room or quietly grouped together. 


Attic with a Cape Cod view

 Source
 Early 1900s nautilus shell bronze desk lamp

Source Unkown
Antique trunk with nautical painting

 Source
A hand carved boat table showcases beach decor

Source
Vintage glass cloche sea horse display


Via Pinterest, original source unknown
Victorian shell art

 Source
 Model boats line a hallway

19th c ship's figurehead

Source
Ship wind vane 

Seaside home of poet Pablo Neruda

 Source
Treasured collection of shells displayed under glass top coffee table

Antique postcard with shell border design

 Source
Beach still life

Source
Shipwreck bottles found in the South China Sea

  Source
 Faux bamboo cabinet of curiosities in an Asian piece dating to the 1920s with displays including  shells & coral.

 Source
A textural mix of gifts from the sea

Source 
Ship in a bottle! 

Source
A collection of sea glass 
 Source
Sea fan art

Source
Greyfreth designed sea life sculpture

  Source
A ship model holds court

 Source
Hand carved sailor's valentine

 Source
Antique seashell print

 Source
Coastal inspired design

Source
Blue Whale antique print

Source Unknown
Antique map highlighting the Pacific Ocean

Shell clad home in Dartmouth, England

 Source
Decor with a coastal feel

 Source
Eco Spheres of Marine Life

 Source 
Antique Victorian shell pieces

Source 
Beach shell jewelry box 

Home of Pascal Palun
Photo by Living Inside 

 Source
Coastal series parchment bound books

 Source
Pair of carved mermaid sconces circa 1900

 Source
Late 16c Venetian coral handled knife and fork

 Source
The hauntingly beautiful artistry of Isabeau Grey

 Source
A shell-filled curiousity cabinet

 Source
 An extremely rare and complete giant clam shell found discarded in the river Great Ouse at Water Stratford Buckinghamshire in the late 1930's

 Source
An antique blown glass bottle with a nautical motif

 Source
Wall map of Cape Cod

Source
"Maidens at the Rocky Coast," painting by J.M. Colvin (19th c)

 Source
Antique carved folk art mermaid

 Source
Violet Sea Snails

 Source
Textured plaster with a nautical theme



If you enjoyed these images, Inspiring Seashell Decor 1 and 2 can be viewed here.
  




I make every effort to credit original sources and link wherever possible. I would be grateful if you can provide information on any unnamed source.  If you are the owner of any uncredited images, no deliberate infringement of copyright is intended. I respect all intellectual property and will remove or modify any image or post at the owner's request.


THANK YOU FOR VISITING A HOUSE ROMANCE!
 I SO ENJOY READING YOUR COMMENTS!











8 comments:

  1. I love each and every image you have shown! I am a huge fan of Greyfreth art and I agree her work is "hauntingly beautiful". I really enjoy your blog and I am so happy to have found you. Have a wonderful day!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the attic view and all your pictures. I will be back to look again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning's post was like being whisked off on a little vacation ..I love all your images, thank you!
    Regards,Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like using seashells in my home and these images are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank you for this collection and the special eye have for treasures :))
    Best regards from Méa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mimi - What a beautiful and inspiring post! I'm jotting down ideas for our summer place in Maine. Hope you are well, and welcome back to blogging :) Cheers, L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Mimi, everything hère is so inspiring, breathtaking to say the least. It's inspiring a twist on things I design.

    See you and your beauty soon

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really adorable post. I love each pictures which shows unique designs and it is good to have these type of decorations for the beach home.
    living-room

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, so thank you for leaving a comment!